Delicious, Vegan, Red Lentil Soup

3/15/2012

Many years ago I had a pitch in dinner party and my friend Debbie brought lentil soup.  I was a little hesitant at first because I had never been a fan of these legumes, but was willing to give it a go.  I am so glad I did.  Since then, I have made this soup multiple times.  It is completely vegan which usually equals completely awful in my book, but not in this case!  It really is delicious.  Please remember the lemon.  A little squeeze brightens the dish with just the right amount of acid needed.


Red Lentil Soup  adapted from Debbie Lightstone

Ingredients

2 C Red Lentils
1/2 C Brown Rice
1 small onion diced
1 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp. cumin
1 1/4 qt. vegetable bullion or stock
lemons sliced or quartered

Directions

Rinse lentils and rice.  Cover lentils and rice with water and let soak 1 hr.  Add olive oil to large stock pot and saute diced onion until soft.  Drain lentils and rice and add to pot along with cumin.  Cover with vegetable bullion or stock and cook over med heat until lentils and rice are cooked through, about 30-40 minutes.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Place lemons on side to add to individual bowls.

Serves 6-8   


Pin It

You Might Also Like

0 comments

View my food journey on Zomato!