Soup, for What Ails You

11/03/2014



It is the season for colds, coughs and the flu and for me, I love a big bowl of brothy soup when I am under the weather.  I was introduced to this recipe from a friend (that is where I've gotten most of my best recipes) about 13 years ago.  I make it at least once a year. I make a double batch.  And it is always gone in no-time.  It is quick, easy and absolutely delicious.




Asian Chicken Noodle Soup


  1. Ingredients:
  1. 1 Tbs. cooking oil
  1. 1 Tbs. Asian sesame oil
  1. 1 onion, chopped
  1. 2 ribs celery, cut into 1/4-inch slices
  1. 4 cloves garlic, smashed
  1. 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, cut into thin slices
  1. 2 Tbs. chili powder
  1. 1/8 tsp dried red-pepper flakes
  1. 1 1/2 qt. chicken broth or homemade stock
  1. 1 C canned crushed tomatoes in thick puree
  1. 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into bite size pieces
  1. 3 Tbs. Asian fish sauce 
  1. 1 cup cilantro leaves 
  1. 1 3/4 tsp salt
  1. 1/2 lb rice stick noodles
  1. 1/2 head bok choy, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices
  1. 1/4 cup lime juice (about 2 limes)
  1. Directions:
In a large pot, heat both oils over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, garlic, ginger, chili powder, and red-pepper flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
Add the broth, tomatoes, chicken, fish sauce, cilantro leaves, if using, and the salt and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the chicken is just done, about 15 minutes. 
Meanwhile, soak the rice noodles in hot water for about 5 minutes. Drain and add the noodles to the soup.
Add the bok choy; bring back to a simmer. Cook until just done, about 1 minute. Lastly, stir in the lime juice.  Serves 4

You Might Also Like

0 comments

View my food journey on Zomato!