This I Believe...

2/10/2019


As I began studying and preparing for this talk I considered the word trust, its meanings and connections. Then I began pondering two other words which I think are somewhat with the word, trust; belief and faith.  I say synonymous because, to trust in something one needs to have faith and to trust one also must believe in that which they are putting trust into. Confusing? Perhaps. Let me explain further and put into greater context.  To trust in the Lord, one needs to have faith and also needs to belief in the Lord.  Without either one there can be no trust.
Elder Richard G Scott many years ago likened trust in the Lord to a spiritual fire.  Our early years are often spent absorbing info from our parents and teachers as preparation to being self-sufficient.  This spiritual fire, as it were can help us grow and developed.  If it is nurtured further, it has the ability to become something everlasting.
Like those fathers and sons who attended the campout can attest, much care needs to be taken to start a fire.  Wood, dry tinder and kindling needs to be gathered and properly arranged to begin the fire.  The wood itself has to catch fire from the tinder and kindling to reach the right temperature in order to begin burning on its own. Once ignited, it becomes a beneficial source of heat and light.  This fire while helpful can and will burn out if not tended to.  Elder Scott also talks about another kind of fire that is more intense than that of burning wood.  It is produced from a combination of aluminum powder and metal oxide.  When ignited it becomes a self sustaining source of brilliant light and intense heat.  Once it has begun burning it cannot be put out by ordinary means. It will burn under water and in other environments that would extinguish any other ordinary flame.
A spiritual fire left unattended can fizzle and burn out, losing faith trust and sometimes complete belief.  However, if we nurture each other and ourselves alike in the gospel, obey commandments and teachings, have faith and trust in the Lord's will, we can have this self-sustaining unquenchable spiritual fire.
Proverbs 3:5-6 reads, "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto thine own understanding. mIn all things acknowledge him and he shall direct thy paths." Nephi also trusted and believed in the Lord.  I think the scripture that encompasess this idea is Nephi 3:7, "I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded.  For I know that the Lord give no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commanded them."  Again and again throughout the scriptures we read of diligent men and women who had faith, trusted, and believed in the Lord.
I am an avid listener of NPR.  One of my favorite weekly segments is, This I Believe.  and so in putting together my talk for today, I thought about Why I Believe and came up with my own personal segment for This I Believe.
I believe because I've given birth to 4 beautiful, wonderful children of God and have been entrusted with these amazing souls to lead and guide and their earthly mother.
I believe because of the way I feel when I do good, serve and help others.  It is true that when you are in the service of your fellow beings you are only in the service of your God.
I believe because of the beauty I have seen of our Earth; its grand Rocky Mountains, Minnesota boundary lakes and waterfalls, crystal clear beachfront and cliffside ocean views in Jamaica, starlit country nights in Indiana and California Sunsets.  These magnificent and glorious environments can only have been created by a divine hand.
I believe because I seen the amazing basketball combination point guard-power forward of John Stockton and Karl "the Mailman" Malone first hand, even though if I'm honest at first it was to spend time with a boy and the fact that Stockton was one of the last players to wear the short/shorts didn't hurt while watching a game I grew to enjoy, but I digress... :) 
I believe because of the compositions of Beethoven, Bach and Tchaikovsky  and the lyrical harmonious vocal stylings of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young as well as such beautiful music as played by the New York Philharmonic and sung by Andrea Bottocceli.  How else could I explain such wondrous gifts and talents?
I believe because of my parents and no matter how far I strayed, they always encouraged me and lovingly challenged me to make better choices and I never had to question their enduring and unconditional love.
I believe because I have been blessed with a husband who is loving, caring, patient and is undoubtedly my eternal equal companion.
I believe because I know this church and the gospel is true and I believe and trust in the words of our prophets and I testify that if we trust in the Lord and believe in faith and in his will, that we will be blessed beyond our imagination.  

You Might Also Like

0 comments

View my food journey on Zomato!